Waterproofing

Sealing Framing to Foundation

In this movie, Matt will show you how to seal the crucial joint amongst your concrete foundation and your wooden framing. This joint is challenging with other techniques, but Matt is employing Prosoco’s R-Guard Joint and Seam filler which is component of their Fluid Applied Weather Barrier procedure.

Locate far more on that item here:

Go through the Journal of Light-weight Design Report Matt wrote “Sealing The Foundation To Framing”

The equipment Matt’s employing in this movie:

Sausage Pack Caulking Gun

Bent Tip

Leatherman Raptor

Chip Brush

1. OK you've sealed the bottom, now what about that joint where the OSB meets the plywood? Seems a comparable issue

2. What would you use from the inside of the house to seal between the studs and the foundation?

3. Matt, I just came across this video. We just finished up a modular home on a basement, and I am looking for something like this to seal the house from bugs and water. Right now we have a problem with crickets, and I have narrowed it down to two areas of the foundation. I thought about caulk, but I know that the house needs to move/settle and breathe, and I don't want rot. the other problem is that these areas are really tight to the foundation, but this looks pliable enough to get into those tight areas.
    We also have two areas with patios, and I'm worried about splash from rain getting onto the wood from below and causing rot. Is this something that can help with that too?

4. Would this method work if my siding is sitting level with a brick patio? I have no way to hang my siding below the foundation because my foundation sits level with the patio, and the patio extends another 3 feet. Sealing is going to be a major issue.

5. Use a bucket of tar with reinforcing mesh. Much much cheaper and it will preserve wood. Does the same job at the fraction of price. Use polyurethane caulk around windows and doors. Don't buy into every product you see. This is just another way to make the rich richer and poor poorer. Sucker born every minute.

6. I just watched your siding video where you mentioned the importance of draining. Wouldn't this prevent draining from happening?

7. Wow Matt, maybe you should have left it to Sean from Prosoco. You got R-Guard all over the nicely finished concrete plinth!

8. R Guard should come in a gal. can not a tube the way it's being used..

9. Matt, Great video. Question 1. What do you do when you have a porch . . .do you still seal between foundation and wood framing?

10. you prefer this to the peel and stick? Can this be done after the wrap is on?

11. Great video, Matt! I'm curious, does the sheathing overlap the concrete foundation any? If so, do you recommend a capillary break where concrete and wood come in contact? Many thanks!

12. I almost couldn't handle the asmr in the beginning of the video. Lol

13. Kinda weird that my untreated shiplap sheathing sitting directly on a brick foundation without any flashing or sealing has lasted 100 years in the rainy northeast without this product applied to it. Would you recommend it on remodels/old work?

14. That kind of looks like the stuff you use with Premier SIPS panels.

15. Sweet/boss intro Matt. Thanks for the knowledge bomb once again. Like I've said before, I am a young builder and you have taught me considerably more about how to build the right way, with integrity, compared to the GC I am shadowing

16. One of the accompanying videos coming up in my feed is "How To Make Bald Spot Invisible". Coincidence?

17. Is that a regular plywood as external sheeting? I though only OSB is used these days, or some fancy prefabricated sandwitches.

18. How do you think a lot of these products will hold out long term? Is it realistic to think that the sealants and peel and stick products are going to last for 50+ years?
    I know that you liked to do everything you can to make a place water tight, so not just rely on these products.

19. Congrats on the cover and article.

20. Do you have to use a brush or can it be spread out with a trowel or taping knife?

21. @MattRisinger – can you make a video on how you detail the siding and/or stucco to cover that joint? That would be super helpful. Thanks!

22. Do you have any experience with Rub-R-Wall, the green fluid applied barrier?

23. I'd love to see a video with all the recommended layers of a wall, for long term reliability. (Drywall, spray foam in LVL's, 7/16" osb, rigid foam, rainscreen, house wrap, and finishing material), or however you'd recommend

24. Make your house airtight, then spend $3000 to bring fresh air into the house?

25. Hi Matt,
    Great timing on this video! I'm replacing sheathing and siding on my house. I have a sidewalk along the side of my house that is on the same plane as the foundation. I had been looking at using Fentrim F over the Zip Sheathing, under the Zip sheathing edge, to the small portion of the sill plate that would be exposed, and then to the concrete. Then probably flashing under the rain screen and siding to kick water out. Any thoughts or recommendations? I would appreciate it!

26. thanks for your response. we are all waiting for a "how to" video for replacing an aluminum window in a brick home the right way.

27. ok what if I put a roofing ice and water shield over that same gap to prevent air and moisture coming through?

28. Matt, do you have Blue Wall on top of this product behind you?

29. This might be a dumb question but do you think flex seal would work well