Basement Renovation

How to Properly Insulate a Basement Wall: NO MOISTURE!

HOW TO RENOVATION VIDEO LIBRARY:

How To Backfill a hole

This Youtube channel was designed for average help home owners tackle home renovation tasks around the house. Hosted by Jeff Thorman from Ottawa Design and build, Jeff uses his near two decades of experience to help you out. On this channel you will a series of How To videos as well as before/after Total Renovation transformations. So what are you waiting for? Check it out!

Our Website:
www.HomeRenoVisionDIY.com

Video Editing Services by:
Moskal Multimedia
www.MoskalMultimedia.com

You are welcome to use all the music in our free download collection (in the top categories on our homepage) for a variety of projects – please see below.

We simply ask that you credit us as follows:

Music:

1. Great video. I have been watching videos and reading a lot about insulating below grade. My basement have brick walls and the previous owners insulated the exterior walls putting the studs and fiberglass directly on the brick (BAD) so in going through the info I realized there are quite an amount of methods to insulate appropriately and the one I decided to go for is to put the 2 inch pink foam on the brick walls, build the framing on top of the foam and then insulate with roxul (thermal) basically, just using inorganic materials to avoid moisture and mold (I know some walls in the basement have mold because the bad job the previous owners did). This method could get expensive but thought it was the best aside from spray foam. I am curious about your method… do you think the method I decided to go for is cost effective and efficient? Is it any good? And compared to your method… is it less expensive using yours and more efficient? Thanks!!

2. You say to staple the tar paper to the 2×4 but u clearly don't have it stapled, instead it looks like its stapled to the wall.

3. It s a good work.can w use a métal colonne

4. Thanks for all the clearly recorded footage and inspirational narrative. Even I am feeling MUCH more informed, if not capable to do this stuff myself!!
    Had a flooded finished basement due to untoward weather event last February in Western OR. The house was built in 1952 with many modifications since, mostly unpermitted. Basement work was permitted in around 10 years ago which included lining the foundation with black plastic not attached to studs, then paperless fiberglass between studs down to rest on pressure treated wood which is secured to a slab that undoubtedly was poured without a barrier beneath. The finish is regular drywall and on the floor 6mil poly and click cork panel-lovely and warm.
    I'm left with 2ft flood cuts and am "ready" to restore the downstairs.The wood in studs and on the floor show no sign of water exposure and the batting which was removed had no visible mold/mildew. While I'm not expecting water intrusion again, I still want to move ahead in a manner that takes into account the possiblity of vapor and more. I can't afford overkill, so…
    Do I:
    1) tear out the drywall and plastic
    —and spray on closed cell or put in foam panels-if so, do I have to use some spray in behind the studs
    —use typar or tyvec as you have demonstrated, then batting
    2) leave the system as is and just replace the batting
    3) replace the drwall with same or with cement board?
    I am definitely going to use a dimple mat this time around and if I want to go with cork again, would I use 1-step and then just lay the cork atop or for "better safe than sorry" go with DMX, plywood then LVT?

5. I've been watching your videos for a long time now, there's Great!

What's your opinion of using this new thing I keep hearing about called the 'Schluter Kerdi Board Panel' as a waterproof/gas proof membrane (Which can also double as a Wall) instead of the clear plastic (and then having to add an additional wall on top of the plastic?

Do you think it's a good idea to put that on top of the Pink insulation instead?

An Example of this being done could be:

Or

6. with Roxul you can actually tackle 3 at the same time – Sound, Thermal and Fire barrier … and it's hydrophobic too… so if it ever gets wet, you can easily reuse it! However, they are kind of expensive here in the US at least for attic applications it was like triple of celullose/FG … for walls i guess not that much I just checked Lowes and its about 50 cents per sq foot for R16 on 2×4 walls

7. Would spray foam work… or would it just take all the air space away.

8. A q: mosture ,is it coming from in side inside of house or sweat thru cold block? vapour barrier overlap, top over bottom or bottom over top? where is drips flowing? great videos

9. Love how simple you keep things in your videos. Thanks.

10. I can see the wall was built and raised in place and indeed should be wrapped prior placement, you would have saved time and material and created a self contained envelope with almost no penetration for moisture. Usually I wrap the top and bottom plates leaving a extra foot on each side, so I can fold it over the front and seal against any contamination from the floor (flood), the top extra will be my extension into the joist cavity. Just my two cents.
    Glad to see educated contractors working in Ottawa and willing to do what is right instead cutting corners. Tumbs up 😎

11. Great video, question why doesn't that insulation have any paper? Or what is the insulation with paper used for?

12. Is the foam board insulation OK to have up against the basement walls? Then frame around that?

13. Great video Jeff. The building codes here in Australia are somewhat pathetic when it comes to moisture barrier & wall insulation. Thank you for the amount of time & effort that you, Max, & the team put in to produce such high quality videos.

14. Nice video ! This time you didnt wake me up at 3am lol regards from belgium

15. 6:45 Looks like it's really good as a sound barrier, couldn't hear you through that tiny piece :p

16. It's funny that you mentioned the fiber glass.. we see him scratch his arm at 10:25 😂😂

17. Typar behind the studs and plastic over. Here in western Oregon, you'd have rotted studs after a while. But our winter humidity is really high.

18. how did u attach the paper .

19. Really enjoying this series… gives us all rookies the confidence lol

20. how was the side (end) of the wall sealed

21. How much does a job like this cost in a 400 sq ft basement,   if I were to pay you to frame, insulate, and install a moisture barrier.

22. Is this similar to insulating garage walls? We have an attached garage that gets super cold. The walls have drywall on them and they are painted. I have no idea if it's insulated or not. Any tips on how to proceed would be appreciated.

23. Still good practice were ever u are

24. Love watching this man. Brilliant!

25. You are good wish i had boss like you

26. As always great job and video Jeff.

27. Stupid question, if the basement is underground why do you need to insulate the walls? I view the basement as a cave, protected from the elements.

28. Thank you for making high quality full length videos.

29. So when framing a basement you wana leave a gap between foundation and stud?