Kitchen Cabinet

Cease Drafts From Electrical Shops and Enable Help you save Cash

I have been performing a large amount of updating and residence repairs in the past handful of months. Now that the weather conditions is colder and I am expending far more time inside of I noticed that there were being drafts coming in from my electrical stores that faced external walls.

This online video covers what I did to help stop the leaking of chilly air into my dwelling. It does not stop it entirely, but there is a really obvious variation.

I am not a residence repair service guru, and commonly I do tech assessments but I imagined I could share one thing that I have carried out to help cut down on my energy costs with all people else.

Amazon Hyperlink: (affiliate url) It is the variety that I utilised but they will not appear to be to promote one cans of it. But this will also exhibit other varieties of spry foam equivalent to what I utilised.

Amazon Hyperlink outlet deal with: (affiliate url)

Some other typical tech stuff:

This online video was taken employing a Vixia HF R400 with these options
Car .mp4 @ 35mps

Youtube equipment and services (referral/affiliate hyperlinks)
TubeBuddy:
Digicam:
HTC RE:
Wireless Mic:
Blue Snowball Mic:
Headphones:
SD card Situation:
Sony Vegas Professional 14:

Like what you see? Would you like to assistance this channel? Inbound links under help.
Carrying out some shopping?
Amazon:
Amazon Primary 30 Day Totally free Demo:
Amazon Primary Scholar six Thirty day period Trail:
Help you save income with Honey:

Wanting for amusement?
Twith Primary:
Primary Songs 30 Day Totally free Trail:
Amazon Songs Unlimited 30 working day Totally free trial:
Primary Video 30 Day Totally free Trail:
Kindle Unlimited Membership 30 Day Totally free Trail:
Audible 30 Day Totally free Demo, and 2 Totally free Audio publications:

AmazonFresh Totally free Demo:
Amazon Relatives 30 Day Totally free Demo:
Amazon FreeTime Unlimited 1 Thirty day period Totally free Trail:

1. good idea but make sure to use fire stop spray foam not standard stuff

2. fireblocking caulk

3. Yeah sorry this kind of foam isn't safe for use around electical wiring unless expressly stated so on the tin. You state that the type you have is specifically for around electrical wiring so I suppose if it says so at least you can sue if you have issues. Important to let the audience know you must indeed use exactly the right type of material

4. why are you filming this after you did it?

5. Using foam is safe ??

6. I just renovated a shed, put in insulation and wall boards + new outlets and could still feel cold air from the outlet, thanks for the ideas.

7. I just went ahead & filled my outlet / light boxes with expanding foam put,the covers back on really fast to contain it ..the covers might bow a little, but no biggie & I feel much better about the outlet leakage when the massive leakage is up in the attic,through the garage,around the windows & doors,the radiating of cold through the cement slab,coming in through the dryer venting,coming through ring joist areas.

8. How are you stopping moisture from getting into the wall cavity if you don't wrap the box with poly/install a vapour barrier?

9. These foam can easily catch on fire, not sure if it's a good idea, only use certified insulation around electricity, I suppose the foam inserts must be UL/ETL listed for that application? Rock wool would be already a better alternative.

10. air does not come through the receptacle holes unless there is something seriously wrong with them…

11. Great job I like a person that's very knowledgeable on how to really seal a wall receptacle on a exterior wall.. I've seen tons of videos where people just put in the gaskets. Fantastic job.

12. Thanks! 🙂

13. you must be careful not to get spray foam inside the box or your fingers as you might result in electrical shock

14. Nice! I definitely going to try this… It seems easy and low cost. Thanks!

15. i like the breeze

16. Good work! Also consider ceiling light fixtures, etc.

Some air leaks are not easily seen. One way to detect these air leaks is to conduct a "smoke test." To do this, close all windows and doors and turn on a window air conditioner to create a positive pressure in your house, pushing air out of your home through any crack or opening.

Now, turn off your smoke detectors momentarily because you can check for air leaks by holding a lit incense stick close to the spaces around the edges of your windows and doors, looking for a noticeable change in the smoke rising from the lit incense stick. If there is an air leak, the smoke will waiver and be drawn into the wall. If the smoke remains undisturbed, then you can assume that there are no air leaks in that specific area.

Don't seal off your house like a perfect ballon, though, or you will asphyxiate. According to energy effieciency testing equipment, three or four whole-home air exchanges per hour is normal for spankin new, "energy effiecient" homes. Everything else sees 10 or more whole-home air exchanges per hour and that's probably too much.