Kitchen Cabinet

How to Paint: Working with Benjamin Moore’s Advance

Skilled painter Justin Barba demonstrates how to paint applying Benjamin Moore’s Advance interior, waterborne oil-based paint. He also reveals how to load a paint brush with paint and how to utilize it evenly (which typically applies to any paint on the market place).

1. Oh. good God. How on earth professional painter can show such poor standards of the finish?

2. Omg amateur painter

3. So, considering this is apparently a Benjamin Moore video production, are we to believe that the surfaces shown at 4:24 and 4:33 represents the best of what we can expect from this product? I wish I'd seen this before I bought the stuff. I suspect this was supposed to be a spray-only product marketed to the trade. (Seems to be very few bad reviews from sprayers.) but was so expensive sales were poor(?). Decision was then made to sell to broad-base retail market for increased volume(?). Who knows. Impossible to get VERY good results with even a good brush or roller. For the price, it should jump out of the can.

4. I just finished using this paint on my cabinets…..very thin paint, but leaves a beautiful finish!! I brushed it on and smoothed with a roller….beautiful. I am waiting on the cabinets to fully cure….I am nervous about chipping…we'll see.

5. Nice video, Justin. I have searched all over for application help and found your video most helpful. A couple questions, though: 1) You say "don't go too close to the edge," but then I see you cutting in at the edge (right after the first, away-from-the-edge strokes). Am I understanding correctly that you cut in in two steps? First: away from the edge; Second, at the edge, blending into the first?

2) Do I lay off the brushed-on coat or just the areas where there are issues? I find that when I lay off the entire area (which I thought you were suggesting), I end up over-working the paint. Brush marks and globs everywhere. I'm thinking that the goal here is to just get the product on the surface and let it do it's leveling thing, only addressing, minimally, the obvious issues, like drips, etc.? I'd really appreciate a reply!

6. I am struggling with brush painting a front door as this material dries so fast, there isn't time to even brush it out. This paint is like a solvent lacquer – dries instantly as applied thus, leaving brush marks. Even with their additive to retard drying and give me some time to brush it and feather it – it dried instantly.

7. Advance yellows very quickly…never use pure white.

8. seeing a lot of texture in the finish, can this product be sprayed?

9. Has a nice finish ones dried but a pain in the butt when spraying, you really cant cover with one coat, takes like 3 to 4 coats to actually cover, if you try to cover with one coat you are going to have a nice mess to clean afterwards, regal select is a much better product and actually cheaper

10. Worst paint I have used in over 25 years. It's like painting with glue, Runs drips and sags like I haven't seen with a paint since 1986. You have to police your work when you're done and I've done this work professionally. It also ruins the hilt of the brush. Coverage is just average and the finish is nothing to write home about. NOT WORTH THE PRICE OF A NAPKIN.

Benjamin Moore should be ashamed of themselves.

11. We are getting ready to paint our kitchen cupboards and are seriously considering using this B.M. ADVANCE….your video was very helpful as to the proper techniques and brushes & roller covers!  Which finish would you suggest for kitchen cupboards, satin or gloss?

12. Worst paint I have ever used in my life. Saggy garbage, did they even test this before bringing it to market. I'll go with Behr for less than half the price, wins consumer reports best buy each year.

13. BM Advance may not be the easiest paint to work with, but this video has good info, and I happen to like the color choices.  Nice job.

14. As a Ben Moore Retailer I love this video. Thank you very much!