Bathroom Remodeling

How to Watertight a Shower (3 Awesome Approaches!!) — by Home Restore Tutor

What is actually the greatest way to water-resistant a shower…you can expect to locate out.
These 3 strategies make transforming a shower a ton much easier.
To make waterproofing a shower easier test these provides:

wedi Tub Encompass Package —
Screws for KERDI-BOARD
Washers for KERDI-BOARD
KERDI-BAND
Preformed Shower Market by Schluter
Trowel for KERDI-BAND
Unmodified Skinny-Established for KERDI-BAND

For rest room transforming equipment and materials visit

What is the very best way to water-resistant a shower…modern video clip shares 3 procedures. Simply click right here to get more guidelines from our on the net classes

In the close you should really have a excellent idea which a single will perform ideal for your bathroom transform.

Finding out how to water resistant a shower is possibly the most significant detail you can do in a toilet renovation.

The leading three ways we counsel are

-cement board with a liquid membrane
-Schluter KERDI-BOARD
-Wedi making panels

Let’s talk about cement board to start with.

Cement board is affordable, about $12 for a 3×5 foot panel. So you may spend about $60 for 5 panels. BUT you need to also factor in liquid waterproofing membrane…this will price you a different $100-$200.

Constantly use Alkali resistant screws to mount cement board to stud framing. Never Ever use drywall screws, they’ll corrode around time.

Use a paddle little bit and gap saw to lower holes in cement panels. Angle grinders also do the job wonderful, as you noticed in the movie.

The 2nd technique to waterproof your shower is KERDI-BOARD.
It truly is way lighter than cement board, about 4lbs for a 48inch by 60inch board. Schluter provides screws and washers to mount KERDI-BOARD to the stud wall. Follow their instructions to a T in get for the guarantee to be upheld.

We individually like having all waterproofing panels to sit on the tub lip. This prevents the panels from bowing out and your tile searching like crap.

Fill the hole between KERDI-BOARD with Schluter KERDI-Correct and embed KERDI-BAND in it. We have a further established of movies exhibiting you how to put in KERDI-BOARD below

(Element 1)

(Component 2)

Adhere KERDI-BOARD to stud walls using Schluter’s screws and washers. The one particular thing that Schluter is know for are their meticulous instructions…they will never ever depart you substantial and dry.

At the time installed, flash all the seams and screws with KERDI-BAND making use of unmodified thinset.

The 3rd system of waterproofing a tub is to use Wedi constructing panels. Again, they’re tremendous gentle at about 11lbs for a 3×5 foot panel.

Wedi also attaches to the studs using their proprietary screws and washers. Utilize Wedi joint sealant amongst all board transitions. Wedi is the least difficult of the a few approaches to install.

You can expect to see why in the video clip

For the composed tutorial take a look at

1. My installer used greenboard for shower walls. Is it normal?

2. Cool

3. I like how you pronounce "measurements". My parents verbalized that word the same way.

4. Hi we used green board and walled to the floor then wedged our acrylic tub in place (its a Manufactured Home). So our board does not come down flush with the top of the tub causing the acrylic surround to bow at the bottom over the top. I have thought about removing the surround and building out with mortar, but then I'm not sure if this is the best approach and we also don't know if it would be longer lasting to mortar and use tile. Tile looks better, but its a garden tub so that's a LOT of tile. Any ideas would be great. All of the methods listed looked fun, but maybe the last would be easier. Maybe we need to tear out and start over? I'm worried about rodents gaining access to the home through gaps.

5. Did you remove the 1 inch board that you used for a spacer between board and tub? Or did you waterproof over it?

6. I do shower ๐Ÿ‘

7. I believe that a sealed/bonded system might be the new way. But most people, I think, are not of the mindset of "don't care how much it cost", but rather "just build it not to leak and last". I will be doing a second story bath this week (haven't done one in 20 years), and am trying to decide whether or not to incorporate one of these newer systems. Much lighter material is more desirable, (harder to obtain locally), but much, much more expensive. Maybe I will combine some of the new and some of the old (but not with pre-slope and mud), but rather just mud and waterproofing topping of some sort. I was told that there are premade foam pans that might work, but when cut down from 38×60 to 30×48, that these pans will no longer be level around the perimeter! Is this true? Thoughts???

8. Trash

9. My valve extends beyond the cement board because its on a block wall. Can I use any of these boards behind the cement board to extend the depth?

10. How would you address the joint between floor tile and wall tile? Grout or caulk? would you recommend leaving drain holes in that corner joint in case any water would make it behind your wall tile? Not many videos on that out there but many different opinions seems like it. Thanks for your time and effort.

11. Maysurements ๐Ÿ™‚

12. I don't think you need a cement board just use green or blue drywall and waterproof with red guard that all you need . Same result and cheaper. I demolished lots of bathroom walls and even with out any water proof they are fine if the grout installed right.

13. Thank you ๐Ÿ™

14. Is it ok to use mosaic-glass tile all around in a niche?
    thanks

15. Wedi!!!!!!

16. Thanks for the video. it was very helpful to make my discussion on how I would waterproof my shower. I would use the wedi building. why? because it is easy to use and you can build your own niche anywhere you desire. Are you using the wedi for the floor as well? Thanks a lot.

17. How do you seal around the cutouts for the shower head, faucet, etc please?

18. Awesome ! Thank you guys!!

19. Tuned out when I saw he was too lazy to protect the tub. Drop cloth? Cardboard? Masking tape? Messy = sloppy = unprofessional.

20. For DYIers, Wedi boards are ideal because of ease of installation and number of steps required. I would lean more towards the wedi board system.

21. You just scratch the tub.Cover the tub ๐Ÿ‘Žyour fired

22. Cement board and hydro ban donโ€™t even have to use fiber tape if gap not bigger than 1/8โ€

23. well, it looks messy compared to using redgard. And,if you truly trust redgard, why bother with anything but that purple mold resistant rock…

24. cement board and redgard is my preference

25. Many thanks for the video. One question though, how can I water proof a join to a wall that is tiled? Please help, thanks in advance.

26. What type of screws he used with the pre fabricated plastic box? 1:21

27. I like the first method.

28. Wedi board because I want a Roman shower tub with multiple nooks in a module home

29. Iโ€™ll use bitchathane, chicken wire and float my projects……more mud helper!!!

30. all 3 thre are good methods thank you i used hardie cement board and re guard

31. We plan to meet this week with a Wedi dealer and use this method for a roll in shower, thanks to your video and the install video you have. Thanks ๐Ÿ‘

32. Modified or unmodified. I'm in England and haven't heard that terminology. Is it the same as SPF/ non-flex? Also I assume "thin set" is just your name for tile adhesive??? Really like the wedi and kerdi. I've been doing bathrooms a few years and have tended to use a classiseal rubber upstand around the bath/shower along with aquaboard (plasterboard with polymer sewn in) in the bath/shower. Over here in lowbudgetland that's generally more than other's do but i'm always looking to improve

33. Crazy to be drilling and cutting that stuff without a mask and eye protection.

34. What are your feelings about just using Kerdi membrane over plain old sheet rock? I know this was encouraged by Schluter because it was attractive to general contractors in new construction. The sheet rocker could just continue the sheet rock into the shower as long as he didn't finish the joints with sheet rock mud. I'm guessing you are recommending these three methods because you are doing a remodel and these three boards are superior to sheet rock? How about cost? I know kerdi board is quite pricey. Would it make sense to use sheet rock and kerdi mebrane if you were trying to cut costs? I know applying kerdi membrane takes a lot longer than these methods. I may be answering my own question here…the savings in time probably offsets the difference in price?

35. OMG so I have been wanting to redo my shower FOREVER now. You have no idea how grateful I am for this step -to-step video. I definitely will be getting the wedi Tub Surround Kit. I think it would be easier for me to install (especially if I can't get some assistance. )

Thank you!!!!!

36. I intend to use Hardie board and have a few questions: 1) Is the vapor barrier (6mil plastic) only on the outside wall between insulation and Hardie Board? Inside walls do not need vapor barrier as long as Hardie board is sealed? Do the panels of Hardie board need to be filled with thinset and fiber tape before sealing Hardie board?

37. Great video

38. I've always used cement board, but I haven't done a remodel in years so I would have to look at the other two products weigh the pros and cons against the cement board, which I'm most familiar with, and see what the cost and Time Savings are between all three products

39. Wedi looks the messiest but seems it would waterproof better.

40. Its not just waterproofing, DON'T FEED Mold!!! Nothing modified in a shower!

41. Hi, but they do sell waterproof cement board why waterproof the cement board or are you doing this on top of the cement board already being waterproof? Thanks.Bill