Bathroom Remodeling

How to Put in a Fiberglass Tub and Encompass | Question This Outdated Home

This Aged Property plumbing and heating expert Richard Trethewey updates a bathtub. (See down below for a browsing checklist and equipment.) SUBSCRIBE to This Old House: …

1. They just did the easy part. The taping and painting is the real chore. Fernando! Donde estas¿

2. … Videos like this are too simplified. To have a proper high quality install there can be so many details that if not done correctly there will be trouble down the road when they are long gone.

– Bedding under the tub? Many ways to do it right and just as many ways to do it wrong.
    _ Ledger boards- level and in the correct location. 1/4" too high or too low will make a difference.

– No pipe dope on the drain threads underneath?
    – NO plumbers putty on the acrylic tubs, use 100% silicone.

– etc.
    I used to respect this show and these guys.

3. Love the internet plumbers

4. Skipped leveling the tub? No shims to stop flange from cracking? This is dangerously over simplified.

5. big china logo

6. This is sooo not real. Lots of editing, and it's fine to attach the bath drain before setting the tub, but then how are you going to connect it once the tub is laid down, and why wasn't that shown ?? This video can give a lot of beginner DIYers a false sense of security.

7. What I want to know is how they got a one piece shower surround through an interior door

8. Exposed Teflon tape at the shower Head? Classy. Bet the Homeowner’s loved that..

9. At 3:40 it’s little tips like this that makes a light bulb go on in my head 😝

10. What a couple of hacks!!!

11. how do i get that guy to come help me???

12. This stuff is so QnD now it's basically useless for "how to".

13. Don't you need a vapor guard behind the tub surround in back? or cement board? Aren't they worried about moisture rot that can happen if there is a sealant issue?

14. How do you cover where you put screws at in the surround

15. I love all of you so called "professionals" critiquing a quick tutorial but don't have any DYI videos of your own…..gtfoh

16. Shalom

17. Good job guys. I sure wish when I install a tub and surround that they would go in , in 5". How ever if they did I wouldn't be able to make the money I do on installation. Thanks .

18. Didn't shim studs to compensate for the surround flange before putting drywall on. This makes the drywall patch not plumb. Unless your ok with that.

19. This Show used to teach how twos. Now it’s nonsense

20. these guys can come over my house anytime.
    I'll have a list all ready for them.

21. What no bedding for the tub????

22. So where is the part with floor preparation?

23. Seriously? He's only seating the faucet head by two threads?

24. This isn't a "how-to." It leaves out just about everything that would be likely to trip up a DIYer, and explains nothing. It merely shows how a professional did an installation in which nothing was unexpected or problematic. Useless to someone looking for a real "how-to."

25. DO not put putty on acrilyc. It voids the warranty and damages tub. Do not put brass pipa drain on acrylyc tub, it will crack the outlet on the tub because it is too rigid. Put plastic made for these tubs.

26. Its amazing how everything goes without a hitch on TOH. The magic of editing.

27. Thank you very much for a helpful video. Is it possible to remove that fiberglass tub without cutting (I don't want to mess with the fiberglass dust)? I assume as it was installed originally, it could be removed same way. It is one piece: bathtub and surrounding. Maybe to cut out a sheetrock wall from another side to disconnect all pipes which stick out from that fiberglass plate? And is it a shut off valve which disconnect water on that part only, or you need to install it? We got a slab leak under the bath tub and a company suggests to brake tile on the floor. I see there is no concrete under the tub, so it would be way easier to get to the problem point, no jack hammering, no dust. I would appreciate any opinion on this matter.

28. Modern shower pressure is so wimpy, which is the reason I've lived with an old shower install for about 40 years.

29. I think that bathtub drain you installed is a nice one I have the same one in my collection !

30. U make stuff look so easy

31. the one thing i needed to know you skipped, how did you turn it and lay it down

32. Little confused … how are you able to make the drywall flush with everything else since the top lip of the surround would act as a shim and push the bottom of the drywall outward? Does the lip simply crush that portion of the drywall as it is screwed in?

33. No wonder copper fittings are crap, it's made in China.

34. I love these guys and this show. Its hard to find someone you can trust.

35. Right off the bat half a tub of putty and the wrong tool to install the grate stopped video at that point

36. Measured about six times but didn’t tell us how to do the fucking measurements how useless could you fucking be

37. Seems an awful small tub for the average American to fit in

38. They make it look so easy!

39. I am in the middle of a bathroom remodel. The bathroom was really cold in the winter and hot in the summer and I figured out why. There was only insulation at the top pf the wall. One bay between studs had no insulation. This was all behind the walk in shower insert. No vapor barrier. I am going to use Rockwool and Membrane smart vapor barrier on the exterior this time around. I also I noticed a 1 inch gap at the top of all the sheathing on the exterior wall I can see right into my soffits. Do I seal those?

40. He's a plumber? Why would you use brass on a tub drain, when plastic is so much cheaper and it won't turn green and rot like brass eventually will due to various minerals in water. Plumbers putty? Nobody uses that, like I said, go plastic and silicone and it'll last longer then house will. Also, the entire bathroom should be done in "green board" sheetrock because it's designed to keep mold from growing. By code where I live, the entire bathroom is done in green board because the entire bathroom is exposed to moisture.

41. What is your opinion of using pex instead of copper piping?

42. He just use taps to anchor to wood?

43. De

44. where can I get a piece of vikrell to fill in the 3.5 inch hole where the shower valve was