Bathroom Remodeling

Garage Conversion and Making Permits Problems – Transforming Suggestions

If you happen to be organizing on transforming your garage or changing it into dwelling place, you need to watch this video clip to get some strategies on how to deal with the developing department and setting up permits. Some constructing and basic safety departments involve a least house, to park a auto. Typically this area is 11 ft wide by 18 toes deep, but like I said earlier, you will need to look at with your area setting up section, for the reason that some constructing codes are distinct in distinct regions and cities. Garage conversions can be tricky and even if you don’t approach on pulling any developing permits, it would not be a poor idea to construct almost everything to code, just in circumstance a little something at any time transpired.

supply

1. so my dad has things in his house that he isn’t supposed to have he has a trailer that has people living in it , he has a container that isn’t allowed, he has a lot of cars in the yard so if the inspector comes will he only be checking the garage or will he be checking the whole property?

2. As long as you are in the setbacks of livable areas, the water heater isn't in there if gas and there isn't a drainage issue, I wonder what the building department would have to say…. The HOA will be another story.

3. the hell with the building dept.

4. Dont ever let the city in your property unless they have a search warrant of the specific area they need to inspect..

5. Can anyone answer a question for me? What if no one is living in the room? I want to build a small room sound proof room for game streaming.

6. Amen Greg thank you for the amendment to your other video. It is illegal where I live

7. hey greg.
    I recently purchased a house in Martinez Ca. The building dept. found out that my garage was converted into a bedroom. is it true that since I'm the new owner I'm responsible for making sure that the room is up to code, even though this was done prior to my purchase.

8. Thanks for these videos. If you get the proper permits and create a room, will that add sq ft on your home for resale value? We have a long single car garage so, we're only converting the back half into laundry/office area with direct access into interior hallway. Doing it for the function, but it will add $20k going by current pp sq ft in our area if we do it legally.

9. If someone needed to live in a garage (just a bed and dresser type thing) is there anything they would need to put inside the garage to keep it normal body fahrenheit ? Is there any padding that needs to be installed to the roofing, flooring & walls? And how about to keep rodents out?

10. I bought a home 3 years ago that had a garage converted into a room with a carport. I was just informed that someone reported me, another neighbor, and a local church for violation. The inspector came and notified me that I have 30 days to tear it down, fix it up by getting a permit, or convert it back to a garage. When I asked him if he would be back for inspection the inspector told me they only come once but not twice. I then asked him how do you know if I tear it down, fix it up with a permit or turn it into a garage then. He couldn't answer my question.

11. just convert it.  Screw persmits keep hush hush who cares.

12. my roommate didnt "convert" the garage into her room she just put her bed in there and clothes and stuff.. we live in a rental property. is she living there illegally?

13. This is a difficult question to answer, because there are a variety of different building codes that will allow you to build a shed or small barn, as long as it can be taken apart and reassembled, but this is a tricky area and it really would depend on your local building department and building codes. The bad news is that they can make you tear it down. You might think about contacting the building department for more information or even a local contractor in your area.

14. I live in a historical district. The district has several rules regarding building out buildings that I won't go into because to lengthly. I want to build a barn where it won't be seen from the right of way. What can the codes dept. actually do if you don't get permits?

15. Occcchhhh!!!! I couldn't agree with you more and if you think it's bad today, 10 years ago, 20 years ago and even 30 years ago it was worse, plus we had to deal with payoffs or kickbacks and I always dreaded dealing with the building department at all costs. I could write a book about all the problems I had with the building department and it's sad to say, few of them were positive. Remember, the man with the gold makes the rules and right now they're making the rules.

16. My problem GENERALLY is not codes. It is being treated like crap, like a number (even if we are). Government personel are SUPPOSED to be public servants. One should NEVER have to feel that you are just an imposition to a dumbass with an ego who treats you badly just because he CAN. My MAJOR complaint is extreme inspection charges. We are contractors and the inspector (actually) is too. Paying a thousand dollars for a two hour (or less) inspection is a CRIME.$70.00/ hour? Fine. $500.? Bullshit.

17. Yeah but Hitler killing some one is completely off of what this is about. Plus with out codes lots of houses would be dangerous, double if not triple fire hazardous, and people would just go off doing crazy unsafe things.

18. Come on… You're going to need to breathe for a moment. I'm not the biggest fan of the building department or their representatives, because I've been at the other end for years and feel your pain, but could you imagine what kind of buildings we would have today, without building codes.

19. The government has no moral right to tell people what to do with their property. I realize that authoritarians do this currently, but Hitler also killed Jewish people. Just because the government does something, doesn't make the actions they take moral or justified. Live free or die.

20. true.