Basement Renovation

How To Back Fill And Pour New Concrete In Your Basement Professionally

Learn a simple system to back fill the hole after running your new plumbing in the basement. #justdoityourself #lovingit #perfecteverytime ▻ Subscribe NOW and …

1. Thanks for a very good video. I needed some specifics in my thought process and you hit the nail on the head:)

2. Hello, I am back filling a shower drain system I had installed in my basement. The basement flooring slopes down and to the right. I keep getting conflicting advice such as " you cant put self leveling compound over quikrete" and " you cant put quikrete over existing concrete to make it level." I have an odie drain installed 1/8 inch over the high point of the flooring. im trying to figure out how to back fill and level the floor with the high point while still being able to put a modified thin set on top in order to install a KBRS tile ready shower pan. any advice would help. Thanks!

3. Great videos, whats the best way to learn how to do it all? Thank you!

4. I have a concrete slab walk that's leaking little holes here and there . I fix w hydraulic cement best I can and it doesn't leak but then couple months later or so another leak in different spot on walk further down . I have a porch above wall so I can't dig up outside to try to fix from outside any suggestions ?? I don't have much money in bank . I'm afraid the wall is gonna cave in one day from back pressure behind wall from possible high water table I've been told esp when it freezes which is what I think causes these leaks . can I jack hammer wall in sections out and refill with concrete or hydraulic concrete .. can I dig under porch to fix walk or will I lose support for the porch .. really don't know what to do. I have sump pump in basement by wall don't know why water behind wall doesn't go to it .

5. I have 2 floor drains and terracotta pipes under my garage floor would it be the same setup as this basement floor? Concrete with stone underneath I suspect I have a collapsed pipe

6. "wear a mask if you feel it necessary…" looks guilty at the camera

7. I am so happy that "you are there."  I been trying to get someone make me a basement bathroom, but contractors come look at work and I never get estimates.  At times that I did get estimates they are insane.  I have bathroom of 88 x108 and they are asking for $10,000 to $19,000 JUST FOR LABOR as I have already bought everything for building my bathroom.  I LOVE how you explain things… I am woman and thus not too strong, but after watching your videos I see that I can do many things that you are teaching us. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR EVERYTHING YOU DO FOR ALL OF US!!!!Suzana

8. I noticed that you didn't use a bonding agent on the edges of the old concrete. Is that not necessary in most circumstances?

9. Great Video !!!

10. Love your videos. I am doing my basement. How do you calculate how many bags of concrete mix is needed?

11. Thats gotta be the thinest/cheapest basement slab ive seen lol

12. I don’t understand the last part about leaving room to set up the shower, how much room is it??

13. U could put a 4 inch pipe and just leave it

14. I wish I had watched this a month ago. I just had to chip away the recently-poured concrete around the shower drain to fit in a Kerdi drain assembly and the concrete was right up against the drain stem.

15. Great videos. What if I don't know where to break the basement concrete floor for the plumber? It is a 100 year old home and there are no plans. Is there a way to find the lines better than pounding through the concrete until you find them?

16. Would you do it the same way if your working with copper pike. I have the pipes wrapped in plastic and will come up 1.5 inches through the slab. I put pebbles rocks under the pipes and over the pipe. Going to use regular con creat. Will be under the cabinets.

17. This epic video cured my headache! SUPER good and informative!

18. QUESTION?? Hi, I'm installing a backflow valve and was wondering how close can I put the joint leading to my toilet? Is there a distance to respect before and after the backflow valve?

19. you must Love what you are doing ..great video

20. This video is exactly what I needed to see. Thank you. I am installing a Laticrete pre formed shower pan which connects to the drain pipe a couple of inches below the surface of the slab. How should I fill the "hole" made by the 2×4 box and with what when I install it?

21. I love watching your videos! I was ten years old when my dad and I did our first big remodel. I have never lived in a home that I did not do a major reno. Please, please, please wear a mask! I always thought I was tough and didn't "need" a mask, or respirator. I exposed myself to so many things that finally caught up to me. By the time you notice you have trouble breathing, the problem is far worse than you can imagine and not reversible. Protect your lungs, seriously!

22. Great video. I watching it right now eating my breakfast before going down to my basement bathroom and back fill it in. This video really informed me and helped my confidence to get it done right

23. I’m backfilling on a bathroom rough plumbing shower and and toilet with red dirt should I put gravel in first the concrete and what’s best concrete to use a quick reply would be appreciated as I’m a contractor and specialize in plumbing and electrical but don’t use concrete very much thank you and great cideo

24. I love your videos but I feel like you dont take health and safety very seriously…. mixing concrete without a mask in the basement is insane lol…

25. you really should wear a mask for diy, you cant smeel it but hte fibres can still go in your lungs. you'll thank me when you're 65

26. So much value in so many of your videos!! Thanks Jeff & Crew!! =D

27. Howdy. I have a 6’ by 12’ shed that was built onto my garage with a dirt floor. Groundhogs keep getting in and digging holes in it, so I’m thinking about laying concrete but am a little overwhelmed. Any suggestions or tips?

28. Hi Jeff one question . How high is the toilet flange from the concrete floor ? you mentioned you are using floor leveler, did you compensate for that all ?

29. smashed it nice work dude!

30. I’m wondering how thick the new concrete needs to be. Currently doing the same project. Thanks!

31. Thanks for the vid.

32. You Canadians ever use gloves?

33. Great video wish I could hire you for my nightmare basement project

34. Should've watched this video right when you put it out and I was doing my basement bathroom…. Oh well, I'm ready for the next one now!

35. You make it look easy Jeff. There is this very old Victorian that is in dire need to be completely guted. It's electrical, plumbing needs to be completely replaced. The real estate agent said that the basement needs to be redone. It had about 2 inches of concrete, but was all cracked up in shambles. Roofing and windows need to be
    replaced. Outside wooden walls need to be placed and painted. Further, it has no furnice, and no kitchen. Where does one begin? And no insolation. What would you recommend?

36. Greetings from Niagara. Great video. Thanks. So, I have a square hole in a concrete floor that used to contain a piece of equipment at my shop. It's about 7" deep x 48" x 50" and the bottom and sides are concrete. Do I need to add rebar or any other re-enforcement for a hole this size and should I somehow tie into the existing floor?

37. I wish I could attach a photo. I followed these instructions for backfilling a 1.5×4 foot hole, and the results were great. Then the next day I tried the same thing for a 5×3 foot hole that was in a corner of a room against a stair, but I was unable to use the 2×4, because I didn't have two ledges to shuffle it across, and it ended up making a mess when trying to use it as the opposite end of the 2×4 from me kept falling into the wet cement because it had nothing to rest on. I didn't have a proper trowel, but only a small spatula which helped make a nice creamy texture on my last project, but the project was much smaller. (I've got a proper cement trowel now.) The cement kept getting more and more watery even though the consistency seemed fine at first, and kept wanting to form pools of water. Pebbles kept rising to the surface, pits started forming, before I knew it the cement was unworkable, and by the end it looked like garbage. It's not drying well, and there's a ton of pebbles sitting on the surface, many not even attached. Any recommendations for salvaging this? Should I dump some self leveling cement over the top? Wait for it to completely cure? Scrape up all the pebbles? Add some portland cement maybe? the surrounding cement is beautiful and I planned on grinding and polishing the whole floor when done, but even with grinding I know there will be a ton of pits. It is just slightly lower than the surrounding cement by about 1/4 in some spots, and even .5 inch in one corner. I stopped adding cement when I realized it was not going to cooperate in hopes that there would be something I could add later.

38. When building a box for floor drain don’t you have to worry about Radon gas leaking out into bathroom?

39. Great video – long time watcher! I have a question – how many bags can you practically mix using this method? In other words at what point is the job too big and you run into curing issues while you are still mixing and dumping concrete mix into the slab? Could you practically do a job that required 30 bags as an example?

40. One more question – I now have all that I need, pails, egg beater, check! My job is approx 40 square feet, so I will need 23 bags of Sakrete. Is there any concern with doing that much concrete by myself (23 bucket loads) in creating cold joints or other issues?

41. Great videos! Question: is it necessary to drill holes in the slab to put rebar sticking out every 16" for a repair like this to keep the slab from moving, or is the jagged edge of the slab enough "teeth" to keep it moving? Also, what do you wrap the portions of the ABS drain and vent pipes when they stick out through the new slab?

42. Do you need to cover with plastic so it can cure properly ? I’m installing a bathroom in my basement and am at this point where I need to re pour concrete and was with seeing if covering the concrete and spraying it is necessary.

43. Just wondering. Why not make the fill-in slab a lot thinner? It just needs to cover the hole, and in case you ever need to get at those pipes again.

44. this guy is awesome, great videos.

45. Where's the video on the shower installation? I found the video of you using the leveling compound, but the drywall and shower were already up!

46. My basement concrete floor is very wavy/ unleveled (difference in the 1-2 inches) and broken in some areas. I was thinking of breaking the high and broken areas and then laying new concrete and then a leveling compound. Do you think that is a good idea?