Basement Renovation

DIY How to Install a Basement Subfloor

justdoityourself #lovingit #perfecteverytime ▻ Subscribe NOW and hit the bell to get notified about new videos …

1. Ok video,, umm, dmx has absolutely no r value! Lol! just found a great video and channel, for subfloors! Check it out https://youtu.be/YRZmWEx3Vno

2. I was looking at DMX and seems to be sold out many places where I live. I have found some at Mendards which delivers. They seem to have 3 types of it. Are they the same thing just in different sizes? DMX Air Gap 8' x 65' Foundation Wrap or DMX Air Gap 7'3" x 65' Foundation Wrap or DMX Air Gap 44-1/2" x 50' Flooring Underlayment Kit. Found at this site https://www.menards.com/main/flooring-rugs/laminate-flooring/laminate-floor-installation-tools-maintenance/dmx-air-gap-44-1-2-flooring-underlayment-kit/113-15/p-1462541330534.htm Thanks

3. Was wondering if by screwing the plywood subfloor through the dmx defeats the purpose of the vapor barrier. Won't the screwholes allow the moisture through? Also should the outer edges be sealed with spray foam or something similar?

4. im about to renovate my entire basement. love the vids! all of my basement is concrete inn a cold area. Im going to putting heating inn the floor, will this work the same? the plastic-wood-heating-tiles?

5. When you put the walls up on top of your floor do you use a certain type of screw or use a type of silicone on the screw to prevent moisture? Im assuming the screw that is being used will go threw the floor and puncture the dmx and cause issue if anyone could give me insight that would be great

6. Holy crap- so glad I just watched this… I am truly just on the edge of telling this exact trooper of thing on my basement

7. Good information man, thanks!!

8. Hey Jeff, is this required by building code?Can I just lay laminate flooring with preattached underlayment directly to the concrete floor? My basement was poured on top of foam for extra insulation, not sure if that makes a difference. Thanks for all your help!!

9. Can you place vinyl floor planks on concrete basement floor without plywood?

10. Jeff, great videos! What do you do when the DMX/Delta makes the click-clock sound while walking on OSB? (putting additional tapcons didn't resolve it) Thanks!

11. Did you seal the floor first before the underlayment? Is this the underlayment? Is it easy to cut? Should I put the plywood right up to the wall or leave some space? thanks. https://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/insulation/foundation-insulation-coatings/dmx-air-gap-8-foundation-wrap-kit/244-20k/p-1462541331075.htm

12. Does he have a complete basement moisture guide

13. I do not know if I missed something, but is it necessary to do the subfloor on the concrete floor? Thanks

14. i also have a basement drain in my laundry room i'm looking at finishing.. how would i install this subfloor while keeping my slope for drainage ?

15. Hi, Can i install a toilet over this type of dricor

16. Can I lay this right over my basement floor drain? I'm debating doing the whole basement (laundry & music) instead of just my music room but don't want to screw myself if something happens in the laundry side.

17. Hi Jeff just a quick question, does it matter which side of the osb you put down ? I’m putting sheets of osb in my attic for a subfloor, but no flooring on top of it .

18. Why no fabric under the plastic? I hear it will squeak without it. Good tip on screws that pull out.

19. I wonder about the screws, my thought is that since the DMX is a barrier between the concrete and OSB & finished flooring. If you get some hydraulic leaks the screws/nails are doing 2 negative things. Its now penetrated your protective barrier allowing water to penetrate between the DMX and OSB, 2. the screw will act as a wick and be a point for that water to wick upward. Thoughts on this ?

20. What happens if ever there is water that gets onto the floor like washing machine accident enough to accumulate, rip everything off plywood, dmx then airate?

21. Great video… What can you do with an existing tiled basement floor? Is there a way to replace with laminate or vinyl flooring without busting up the existing floo

22. Hi Jeff! We installed floor like you recommended and we installed walls on the top of the floor. After one year we cut
    small space 1'x2' and we founded moisture and white surface on the concrete. Is this mold, and can affect on the
    wall wood structure?

23. Another trick I learned from another YouTube channel, if your screw isn’t biting or holding in the hole, insert one or two pieces of copper wire, it helps to “fill the gaps” between the loose screw and the concrete hole.
    I’ve even used this with regular screws And,,, nails and it is magic. One of the Best tips I’ve learned.
    Hope this helps, love the channel

24. So, a couple of questions about this video. First, are you recommending the material because it will channel water under the wood? But secondly, I saw that there are wood plates attached to the floor around the basement perimeter. If water comes in, won't those plates get wet and eventually rot? What am I missing?

25. Hi Jeff,
    DMX states that their AG product shouldn't be used for interior installation as it's not mfr'd with virgin material and thus contains off gassing resins. The 1 step product is virgin material. What are your thoughts on this?

26. You have a great list of tools you used but can you put together a list of materials? I'm going to finish my mom's basement for her and I want to make sure I get the right stuff. I found the giant rolls of DMX AG for about $150 each, plywood is about $20 per sheet, but what's the specific name of the tape, screws, etc..?

27. having issues with sinking tapcon screws flush with plywood. using 1/4 by 1 3/4. any tips??

28. If the basement floor isn't flat, how would you recommend shimming the boards? (I'm so done with self leveling concrete)
    Also could you use a ramset rather than drilling?

29. Hopefully you still read comments on your older videos…. if I were to do my basement with this method, how long are those tapcon screws? 2.25"? I live in the eastern panhandle, near DC (weather wise) I was planning to use the blue 1 Step, I cant find the black anymore…At the beginning you said not to install walls on top of it? So I guess I cant? but if I can install all the walls on top of this subfloor system, what kind of screws would you use for the walls and how long?

30. The long black plastic roll you are using in this video , is it the same product to wrap exterior foundations ? I noticed the sticker on the black roll says “Foundation Envelope “ … I just want to make sure because I’m about to cover 840sqft in my basement and the smaller rolls will be costly

31. Hi Jeff
    What do you think a bout using basement pre made subfloor planks with the moisture barrier
    And do I have to secure it with screws
    And what about using LVP over it
    Thank in advance!

32. Do you then just ramset the baseplate of your walls into the OSB subfloor?

33. I have a question or two I have my walls in my basement already installed and I want to now install a floor so if I use the DMX how do I avoid humidity issues and musty smell, is there a way to allow the moisture transfer out?

34. Hi Jeff, So happy I found your Youtube videos. In the times of COVID-19 I'm taking up a new hobby and learning some DIY skills. I'm in the middle of finishing up a basement apartment with a permit, and now i'm unable to hire all the trades needed to finish the job. 1- I'm really looking for some instruction on installing vinyl floor, I have the black and red DMX, not sure if i need plywood on top of DMX before flooring. I'm only wondering because the basement will have a full kitchen with island, and I don't want it to compress over years. 2- I need to install 2x typeX drywall with (sound proofing channel) on ceiling, could you do a video on this. it needs to meet all the fire and sound codes. Thanks for all your videos, this will be my new goto for my projects.

35. Loving your video series. The best I’ve come across. Much appreciate the tremendous effort this must take.

36. I have concrete porch. I put foil faced foam board under the plywood. Hopefully it’s right. Home Depot said it was ok to do. Lol

37. Hey Jeff! I just peeled up linoleum tile in my basement. Do I need to get all the paper backing and glue up before laying DMX? I'm unsure if that creates an opportunity for mold in the future. Thanks, keep up the videos!

38. nice!

39. Hi Jeff,

I appreciate all the content you put out there. I have a question about my basement. I want to put DMX down with 5/8” OSB overtop and screw down with tap cons like you said. My question is do I continue this subfloor system into my bathroom. If the floor is screwed down properly can I put my fiberglass shower pan on top of it? Also can I put backer board down or Ditra and lay tile on top of the subfloor.

Or do you suggest I build up the floor off the concrete with Ditra or something of the sorts and try and get it even with the subfloor at the transition. I am in Michigan and the basement is below grade and dry.

Thanks!

40. We in Germany have yet to find home depot type place but I'm sure they have something here.. Moving into house, going to build a home gym in the carport area.. Need to enclose it and lay a floor. Any tips?

41. I love it your video you guys are professional same people with out knowledge installed play wood directly to concrete with glue no space for air is wrong but you guys explain very well thanks

42. What about Ramset?
    Worth using?

43. Hi Jeff, not sure if you are still following the comments on this video, but I have a question. I am in the process of installing this system and noticed the plastic being somewhat “crunchy” under the plywood. Will this sound be drowned out once the floor/furniture is in place? We’ve done a fairly large area. Thanks in advance.

44. great instructions thanks.

45. Can you do a video about securing a basement that leaks sometimes. How to fix it before finishing the basement.

46. I jus did this and I can hear the dmx below the OBS when I walk on it. Will it go away after the laminate floor?

47. I probably watched about 20 of your videos. I just wanted to say thank you for taking the time to explain these simple things. And for taking even more time to explain things that seem really complex but actually aren't that hard. Thank you

48. The screw just goes in, no plugs or anything to hold it?